Tennyson’s Furniture was established on September 13, 1936 in a small shop on East Capitol Street, by Elwell and Lillian Tennyson. They specialized in sewing machine repair. They then moved their business to a location on the 200 block of High street where they continued to provide their sewing machine repair services. Later on, they once again moved to a location on Jefferson Street where the expanded their business to now include small appliances.
In 1946, Elwell and Lillian moved Tennyson’s for the last time to the current location on 520 East High Street. At their new location, they began to sell larger appliances, like refrigerator’s and also new sewing machines.